Invisalign is a great alternative to traditional braces and a discreet way to achieve straight your teeth without anyone knowing. It is known for its series of customized, removable clear aligners that are virtually invisible. Unlike traditional braces, it does not have brackets, wires or elastic bands that make cleaning a complicated process. If you prefer to wear old fashion braces you can have cheap braces in Edmonton.
Luckily, cleaning your Invisalign retainer is quite easy and only takes a couple of minutes. You will need a soft-bristled toothbrush or retainer brush, toothpaste, and/or a gentle cleaning solution to soak your aligners. Right after brushing your teeth, here is how you should clean your Invisalign retainer:
- Rinse your Invisalign thoroughly under running lukewarm water.
- Apply toothpaste to the toothbrush and gently brush the retainer in small, circular motions, both on the outer and inner surface of the retainer.
- Rinse it again under lukewarm water.
- For deep cleaning, check the retainer for signs of tartar or calcium buildup. To remove tartar, soak it in a cleaning solution specifically made for Invisalign retainers. However, you can use any gentle denture or retainer cleaning solution that does not contain any harsh ingredients that could cause corrosion to your retainer. If you are unsure, check with your orthodontist and ask for recommendations.
- After cleaning your Invisalign, you can place it in a case to dry or wear it immediately.
What You Should Not Do With Your Invisalign
- Avoid soaking Invisalign retainers in a mouthwash solution. Since Invisalign retainers are clear, it can easily absorb the colour, leaving it tinted or stained.
- Never leave your aligners laying out in the open. Make sure to store them properly in their case if you are not wearing them. Leaving them in the open air exposes them to bacteria. Also, they can get damaged or misplaced. To keep them safe, always take the case with you wherever you are going. In case you forget and leave them out for a couple of hours, simply soak them in a cleaning solution and rinse well before wearing them.
- Avoid eating or drinking while wearing your Invisalign retainers. However, the only thing you can drink with your aligner in your mouth is water. You need to take out your aligners when drinking and eating to prevent food particles from getting stuck in the aligners. Invisalign aligners cannot stand the pressure of eating. Coloured, alcoholic, and acidic drinks can cause stains and damage. Lastly, avoid drinking hot or warm beverages as they can distort the shape of your plastic aligner.
- Do not use coloured toothpaste or scented, coloured soaps to clean your Invisalign trays. These can leave residue and cause discolouration on the surface of the trays. Using soap can leave an unpleasant taste.
When you get your Invisalign, it is important to understand that keeping it clean is a crucial part of your overall treatment. Make sure to visit your dental clinic in Etobicoke, your orthodontist will guide you with several key pointers on the best ways to care for and clean your invisible aligners to always keep them clean, fresh, and free from harmful bacteria and debris.